Ten things an Android developer should know
This article will stress about the detail of the basics that an Android developer or anyone working in the Android field should know.
1) Support: –
Support is given to all kind of development systems. There are lot of support groups that help Android developers. Google Android groups support issues to all android development. Their contributions are very active. The following are the groups,
- Android beginners
- Android discuss
- Android developers
- Android internals
- Android framework
- Android NDK
- Android porting
The Google Android documentation has numerous samples and examples distributed with each SDK.
2) An IDE:-
The SDK have no particular IDE. Automated build and test tools are more necessary if your projects get bigger and more complex. An IDE is essential for majority of android developers. Large number of users in which the one seems to have is Eclipse. If you read and watch the Google training videos we get the impression that it is the suitable one. The following are the main contenders.
- Net Beans
- IntelliJ Idea
The main Android SDK tools are,
a) SDK tools: – SDK tools are platform independent.
b) Platform tools: – When we install a new SDK platform, the android platform tools are updated. Each updated platform tools is backward compatible with older platforms. The android platform tools also called android build tools or Android Development Tools (ADT).The Android platform tool are,
- Android Debug Bridge (adb):- It helps to manage the state of an emulator instance or Android powered device
Advantages of Eclipse and ADT are,
1) Integrated Android project creation, building, packaging, installation, and debugging:- ADT integrates many development workflows into Eclipse, which make it as easy to develop and test your Android applications
2) SDK tools integration: -WE are integrating different SDK tools. The main SDK tool are,
a) Trace view :- It allows to profile program’s execution (Window > Open Perspective > Traceview).
b) Android: – It permits to access to the Android SDK Manager and AVD Manager.
c) Hierarchy viewer: – It permits the visualization facility in our application (Window > Open Perspective > Hierarchy Viewer).
d) Pixel perfect: – It help designing and building. (Window > Open Perspective > Pixel Perfect).
e) DDMS: – It helps the management of database.
f) Adb:- It permits the access to a device from your development system. Advantages of adb are,
- integrated into ADT such as project installation (Eclipse run menu), file transfer
- device enumeration
- logcat (DDMS)
- Advanced features of adb, such as shell commands, from the command line.
g) Proguard: – ADT integrates ProGuard as part of the build. It provides the following facilities.
- code obfuscation
- optimization. If you enable it.
3) Java: –
Java is easy to learn and use effectively. If we know the basic concept of java, learning of java will be easier. Awareness of c++ programming also reduced java learning effort, because it inherits many of the c++ features and C/C++ syntax.
The object model in Java is simple and easy to extend, while primitive types, such as integers, are kept as high-performance no objects. Three main features of object oriented programming is given below.
- Encapsulation: – Encapsulation means the wrapping up of data into a single unit .
- Inheritance: – Inheritance is the process by which one object acquires the properties of another object.
- Polymorphism: – The concept of polymorphism is often expressed by the phrase one interface, multiple methods that are it is possible to design a generic interface to a group of related activities. This reduces the complexity by allowing the same interface to be used to specify a general class of action.
The advantages are,
- Compile time syntax checking
- Auto completion
- Integrated documentation for the android framework API.ADT handles the custom XML editors’ mechanism. This mechanism helps to edit android specific XML files in a form based UI. It provides one more facility graphical layout editor helps to design user interfaces with drag and drop interface.
- Integrated documentation for Android framework APIs
4) Graphic design: –
Some popular choices are the following.
5) XML layouts: –
Enrich the layout instructions directly in the code is the oldest way other benefits arises nicely too internationalization.
E.g.: – Without changing the code that uses, now a breeze as you can ship different versions of the XML layout. They consist of the following things.
- Linear layout
- Relative layout
- Table layout
- Frame layout
6) The market: –
It is useful to understand how the android market works. First of you can stick your apps anywhere.
E.g.: -A website, Email attachment, Bluetooth etc.
Android Market refers to the system which the app available on comes with Google devices can talk to which to date has been all handsets. Android is open source and free. The extras in which Google bundles consists of bundles up to the handset manufactures like email, Google maps. It is possible for the carriers to lock down accesses to app stores too. Using a different charging model or customizing you wants to release it on any of these alternate one.
The charging mechanism you use will limit you distribution method. If it is service based, the user paid on an unrestricted download site. This is a rapid advancing field. Android store users must have Google checkout account. T-Mobile has announced plans to support integrated billing. Android developers are welcoming this news. They feel that the lack of such service has been holding back take up there apps. Unofficial ones do currently exist. All that is just rumor right.
7) Form factors: –
In every handset J2ME was touted in java. Compromises had to be made to achieve this across such a diverse range of devices. Android is too richer than J2ME. Those pesky manufacturers are trying to differentiate their products. When you think of different form factors you have the important one with or without a keyboard and then the usual culprits such as screen pixel density, memory capability. CPU power, sensor support and so on.
8) OS versions:-
Google has minimized the disruption. But there are skill a few things you need to be aware of. Specify the minimum version to allow in your app descriptor file. This means that where a user attempts to install your app on advice, it was targeted for, they will tell immediately and they won’t able to.
9) The app life cycle: –
App is subjected to all manner of external prods, kicks and pokes. To support all this, the Android designers implemented a powerful life cycle support mechanism.
Before in the field of mobile development have you are able to control your device. DDMS means for Dalvik Debug Monitor Server. It is the interactive tool which ships with the SDK. DDMS talks to both the emulator and the real hardware. All Android devices have support for a comms system called the ADB, short for Android Debugging Bridge.
- Android Installation
- Android Basics
- Android Drawables
- Android Architecture
- Debugging Android
- Android Style and Android Screen Size
- Android Fragment
- Android Menus and Action Bar
- First Android Project
- Android Layout
- Android Exception
- Android Development
- Ten things an Android developer should know
- Eight common mistakes that Android developers do
- New Android Interview Questions and Answers for beginners
- How to debug Android applications when your emulators are slow